The development of the Eastern Economic Corridor of Innovation (EECi) has been proposed by The Ministry of Science and Technology to support the innovative research and development and involving the government, private-sector organizations, universities and local communities. It aims to advance and transform existing industries as well as to develop the new strategic industries, both within the Eastern Economic Corridor and in other parts of the country. Its ultimate goal is to make Thailand a country that prospers on innovation, to upgrade the quality of life of local people and the country towards a sustainable future.
The Main Objectives of Eastern Economic Corridor of Innovation (EECi)
- Technology and innovation research and development, designed to reach “the real world”, such as to achieve scientific findings in a laboratory setting that can be “translated” into practical industrial applications.
- Transferring technologies to the industrial sector in order to develop the country’s 10 targeted industries, by upgrading and strengthening existing industries and creating new industries with high levels of technology. The EECi will also promote startups with high levels of technology and innovation, a move that is seen as fundamental to the growth of new industries, both within the EECi and in other parts of the country.
- Creating links to networks of research and development both within Thailand and overseas, to help generate an innovative society with high levels of technology and to achieve a working integration, or “triple helix” relationship, between the private sector, educational and research institutes, and government organizations. To extend the “triple helix” concept by involving people in local communities, thus creating a “quadruple helix” working integration.
- Modern Agriculture & Biotechnology
- Biofuels and Bio-Chemicals
- High Performance Battery and Modern Transports
- Automation, Robotics, & Smart Electronics
- Satellite and Aviation
- Medical Devices & Supplies
- STI Solution for Industries & Communities
- Research and Innovation
- Workforce Development
- Research and Quality Infrastructure
- International Collaboration & Tech Transfer
Three Targeted Sectors of Technology and Innovation in Eastern Economic Corridor of Innovation (EECi) are:
- ARIPOLIS: A research and innovation center for automation, robotics and intelligent systems
The focus here will be on serving the digital economy, which is Thailand’s main development target. From Aripolis will spring the stimulation and encouragement to create a new industry based on:
- -Intelligent Systems
- -Internet of Things (IoT)
- -Big Data
- -ICT Security
This will not only directly enhance economic growth, but will also provide crucial support to the transformation and development of the other nine strategic industries, whether they are located within the EECi or elsewhere in the country.
- BIOPOLIS: A center for research and innovation in life sciences and biotechnology
The aim is to drive the development of the country’s agricultural economy with science, technology, and innovation, to create value-added products from agriculture goods and continuously create growth opportunities for agricultural industries. This enhanced agricultural development will give Thailand an increased and sustainable competitive advantage.
Biopolis will support the bioeconomy scheme, which covers the following industries:
- -Smart Agriculture
- -Functional Ingredient/Nutraceutical
Biopolis will also expand collaboration in life sciences and biotechnology research and development to increase agricultural productivity, improve seed stocks and transform raw agricultural goods into high-value products.
- KRENOVAPOLIS: A center for creating innovations in space technology and geo-informatics
It aims to provide fundamental infrastructure for innovations in science and geo-informatics, applying to many fields and technologies; to utilize intellectual capital; to create knowledgeable and skilled workers; and to develop an innovative economy for Thailand.
- -Ground Station & Operations Support
- -Maritime Solutions
- -Agriculture Solutions
- -Navigation and Location-based Services
Wangchan Valley – Tambon Payupnai, Wangchan District, Rayong Province
The EECi site at Wangchan Valley that will concentrate on Aripolis and Biopolis, covers about 3000 rai (480 hectares). The Kamnoetvidya Science Academy (KVIS), the Vidyasirimedhi Institute of Science and Technology (VISTEC), and the Wangchan Reforestation Project occupies it. Together, they cover about 1000 rai, leaving about 2000 rai (320 hectares) to be developed by the Ministry of Science and Technology and PTT Public Company Limited.
More than 30 industrial estates in the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) surround the Wangchan Valley. It is close to modern transportation systems, including motorways, High-speed railway, U-Tapao International Airport, Ports at Laem Chabang and Chuk Samet and Tourism centers and areas growing major industrial crops.
Wangchan Valley will receive fundamental infrastructure to support research, development and innovation activities. It will have areas for private sector research and development, a startup and innovation center and a national quality infrastructure for verification, evaluation and certification. It will also have “translation” research infrastructure such as pilot plants, demonstration plants and living laboratories where scientific findings can be “translated” into practical industrial applications. Moreover, Wangchan Valley will have residential areas, meeting facilities, a fitness center, sustainable green spaces, hotels and other facilities, including international schools and bilingual schools to meet the needs of both Thai and foreign experts. These will be available to privately-sector people as well as other target groups, to create Thailand’s leading venue for innovation development.
Space Krenovation Park (SKP) – Sriracha District, Chonburi Province
This is being developed on 120 rai (19.2 hectares) of land, which will provide a focal point on Krenovapolis. The site is already home to Thailand’s Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA), part of the Ministry of Science and Technology.
Please See Related Pages under Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC)
- Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC)
- Digital Park Thailand
- U-Tapao International Airport Development
- Thailand SMART Visa