The development of the Eastern Economic Corridor of Innovation (EECi) has been proposed by The Ministry of Science and Technology to support the innovative research and development and involving the government, private-sector organizations, universities and local communities. It... Read more
Where does the Thailand Tourism License application take place?
In order to operate a Tourism Business in Thailand, you must first obtain a Thailand Tourism License or TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand) License from the Bureau of Tourism Business and Guide Registration (TBGR), Office of Tourism Development.
How do I determine whether I need a Thailand Tourism License for my business?
You need to apply for a TAT License if your business offers services specifically related to tourism activities within and outside the Kingdom as follows:
- Tour business
- Tourist accommodation business
- Restaurants, service places, and resorts for tourists
- Sale of souvenirs or other goods for tourists
- Sports for tourists
- Exhibitions, shows, trade fairs, promotional advertisement or any other activities with the aim of encouraging and promoting tourism
Who are eligible to apply for a TAT License?
Travel and tour guide business is a restricted activity under the Foreign Business Act. A foreigner who is aiming to offer tourism-related goods and services will have to incorporate a Thai Limited Company to apply for a TAT License.
In order to qualify for a TAT License, a Limited Company must specifically meet the following conditions:
- The Tourism Business must have an office in Thailand
- Officially registered under Thai laws having the objective of running a tourism-related business
- At least 51% of the company shares shall be held by Thai natural persons.
- The majority of its directors are Thai natural persons
- The authorized director(s) must possess the following qualifications:
- Thai National
- Not less than 20 years of age
- Must have a residence in the Kingdom of Thailand
- Not bankrupt
- Not an incompetent or quasi-incompetent person
- Lastly, the Tourism Business must not have had a TAT License suspended or revoked. If previously revoked, the revocation must not have occurred within the last 5 years.
What are the basic information and documents required in support of a TAT License Application?
- Company documents
- ID Card and House book of the Director of the company
- Security Deposit
- Picture of the company premises, as well as the proof of office building ownership
How much security deposit is required?
After the application approval, you then need to provide a security deposit in the form of cash, bank security letter, and government or state enterprise bond. You must settle the security deposit amount accordingly as follows:
Specific Area 10,000 Baht
Domestic 50,000 Baht
International (Inbound) 100,000 Baht
International (Outbound) 200,000 Baht
How long does the TAT License approval process take?
The processing usually takes about 1 month upon full and complete submission of the necessary documents. Consequently, the operator must not run the business during the consideration period. Otherwise, the operator will be liable to fine.
How long is a TAT License valid?
The TAT License is valid for 2 years from the date of issue and you must remember that you then need to renew within 120 days before its expiry date.
In case of closing a Tourism Business, you must return the license within 30 days before its expiry date.