The Government Gazette has announced an amendment to Criminal Code, Section 301 and 305, making it legal for women to terminate their pregnancy of up to not more than 12 weeks.
Previously, most type of abortion in Thailand is illegal. Now, a person is considered not guilty and shall not be liable to legal punishments if such abortion is made by an act of medical practitioners and according to the criteria of the Medical Council with the following circumstances:
1. Pregnant women who are physically or psychologically at risk.
2. There is a high risk of serious fetal disabilities or genetic disorders.
3. The pregnancy is a result of offenses relating to sexuality such as rape.
4. Wanting to terminate pregnancy of up to 12 weeks.
5. Pregnancies exceeding 12 weeks but not over 20 weeks shall be under the examination, counseling, and supervision of medical professionals.
In case of any abortion in Thailand that does not conform to those conditions, the offender shall face imprisonment of not over 6 months or penalty not over 10,000 Baht, or both.